Friday, December 12, 2014

What to be proud of

It's easy to take pride in earthly possessions, accomplishments, and social standings. But the very first commandment tells us not to let those things come before God in our lives. Indeed,  Jeremiah 9:23-24 (ESV) tells us that, if we must boast, don't boast about earthly things. Rather, boast about God.
Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight.
I've posted previously about how the book of Habakkuk presents a similar message. And I also posted about how David got himself in hot water by boasting about his earthly possessions.

As we pray this weekend, let's try to place God where he belongs: above everything else!

No comments:

Post a Comment