Thursday, February 26, 2015

Memorize a Verse from the Bible

I once heard John MacArthur say that his favorite times in life occur when, during Biblical reading, he receives a spiritual insight that, for a brief moment, connects his thoughts with God's. Indeed, those moments are indescribable when it feels like we've uncovered some spiritual breakthrough.

Those moments are the rewards for active Bible reading. But achieving those moments requires a proper approach to reading the Bible. One approach is to read the Bible like a novel, beginning to end. Some people advise against that approach, but I think it's a useful way to gain a sense of the overall arc of God's plan. (However, if you wish to read the Bible from beginning to end, obtain a Bible specifically suited for that purpose. I really like this one.)

Another useful method for reading the Bible, especially those new to active Bible reading, is to memorize a verse that has some special meaning at that moment. A great place to start is the Psalms. For example, if you're seeking God's forgiveness, memorize Psalm 38:1 (ESV),
O Lord, rebuke me not in your anger,
    nor discipline me in your wrath.
If you're asking God for strength, try Psalm 119:116 (ESV),
Uphold me according to your promise, that I may live, and let me not be put to shame in my hope.
If you simply wish to praise God, try Psalm 145:3 (ESV),
Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised,
    and his greatness is unsearchable.
These are simply, easy-to-memorize verses, and there are many others like them. Then, after having memorized the verse, recite it throughout the day whenever you have a free moment. By doing so, you'll soon find that you're coming close to praying without ceasing!

No comments:

Post a Comment