Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Too Wonderful to Understand

In Judges 13, God's angel announces to Manoah and his wife that they will give birth to Samson. Manoah asks the angel (verse 17, NLT),
What is your name?
The angel answers (verse 18, NLT),
Why do you ask my name? It is too wonderful for you to understand.
Different translations phrase that verse in various ways. Here are a few alternate renderings:
NIV: Why do you ask my name? It is beyond understanding.
ESV: Why do you ask my name, seeing it is wonderful?
KJV: Why askest thou thus after my name, seeing it is secret?
NET: You should not ask me my name, because you cannot comprehend it.
The notes to the NET Bible explain that the original Hebrew adjective denotes something in a category of its own, something beyond full human comprehension. The NET Bible also notes that the same word appears in Psalm 139:6 (NLT),
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!
So the point is, although we can ponder God's design, because we are limited in our human form, we can't completely grasp it. Indeed, it is too wonderful for us to know! Even the names of angels, evidently, are beyond our grasp.

These passages highlight the need for humble submission before God. Let us make that the theme of our prayers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment