Monday, November 16, 2015

What we need from God today

That natural emotional ups-and-downs of life inevitably include unexplained feelings of sadness and anxiety, to which we can pray to God for relief. But there's something even more important that we need from God on a daily basis. Specifically, we need him to shine light on our sinful behaviors, so that we can change our ways.

But asking God to shine light on our sins is, to put it mildly, not easy!

The last two verses of Psalm 139 combine these two things we need daily from God, and therefore, they make a great daily prayer. First, those verses ask God to search our hearts and identify the sources of our sadness and anxiety, and then they ask God to make us aware of our sins (Psalm 139:23-24, NLT),
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends you,
    and lead me along the path of everlasting life.
Today, try praying these two verses.

No comments:

Post a Comment