Friday, December 4, 2015

The yoke is easy

In Matthew 11:30 (NLT), Jesus says,
For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.
The point is this: He's not asking much of us. He asks only that we believe. Can it really be that simple?

I posted earlier this week about Naaman, but that story, presented in 2 Kings 5, has deeper spiritual implications, including some that portend the "easy yoke" of Jesus. In that chapter, Elisha heals Naaman's skin affliction, not by some elaborate spiritual magic show, but rather by sending a messenger to tell Naaman (2 Kings 5:10, NLT),
Go and wash yourself seven times in the Jordan River.
Well, Naaman clearly wanted the magic show! He responds angrily (2 Kings 5:11, NLT),
I thought he would certainly come out to meet me! I expected him to wave his hand over the leprosy and call on the name of the Lord his God and heal me!
Finally, Naaman swallows his pride, washes in the Jordan, and becomes healed.

Naaman was not required to do too much in order to become physically healed. Likewise, Jesus does not require much of us to become spiritually healed. So, like Naaman, let us swallow our pride and accept the easy yoke of Jesus. Just believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment