Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Jesus the mediator

In Job 9:32-35 (NLT), Job laments,
God is not a mortal like me,
so I cannot argue with him or take him to trial.

If only there were a mediator between us,
someone who could bring us together.

The mediator could make God stop beating me,
and I would no longer live in terror of his punishment.

Then I could speak to him without fear,
but I cannot do that in my own strength.
Job is rightly celebrated as a man who maintained faith under fire. But he was more than that! These verses indicate that, in the midst of his duress, Job appeared to anticipate, albeit incompletely, God's great plan.

Removing any remaining mystery, Paul writes in 1 Timothy 2:5 (NLT),
There is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus.
So Paul clarifies that Jesus is that mediator. But I like to occasionally return to Job 9:32-35 to refresh myself on why we need a mediator. Reread those verses, and then thank God for including us in his plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment