Thursday, June 23, 2016

The rewards of responding to God's warning

Proverbs 1:23 (NLT) reads,
Come and listen to my counsel. I'll share my heart with you and make you wise.
The word "counsel" is translated from the Hebrew word "tokhakhat." Although I often quote from the NLT, note that most other English Bibles translate that word into a slightly harsher English word, such as "rebuke" (NIV, NET), "reproof" (KJV, ESV, NASB), or "warning" (HCSB). For example, here's the same verse from the KJV,
Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.
Translation issues aside, this verse contains a powerful message. God is speaking to us, perhaps harshly. It's our responsibility to "come" (NLT) or "turn" (KJV) to God. And it's our responsibility to heed his possibly harsh message. If we do, God promises to advance us spiritually!

No comments:

Post a Comment