Friday, September 9, 2016

Spiritual reset -- Psalm 77

What should we do when we feel spiritually numb? When our prayers seem to evaporate into air, how do we regain our zeal?

We all encounter times like these. Perhaps we should view those times as tests, designed by God to teach us spiritual lessons. Whatever their source, those times of spiritual frustration call for a "reset," and Psalm 77 provides a method for such a renewal.

Verses 2 and 4 (NLT) read,
All night long I prayed, with hands lifted toward heaven,
but my soul was not comforted.
You don’t let me sleep.
I am too distressed even to pray!
The psalmist considers giving up, saying in verse 10 (NLT),
This is my fate; the Most High has turned his hand against me.
The psalmist's frustration is obvious. How does he break out of this funk? How does he achieve a spiritual reset? The answer comes in verses 11-12 (NLT),
But then I recall all you have done, O LORD;
I remember your wonderful deeds of long ago.
They are constantly in my thoughts.
I cannot stop thinking about your mighty works.
The remainder of Psalm 77 recounts some of God's great deeds. So, those verses appear to provide a straightforward path toward spiritual reset. Simply meditate on God's great works, and give thanks and praise to him!

No comments:

Post a Comment