Wednesday, January 4, 2017

God's promise and warning

2 Chronicles 7 finds the ancient Hebrews, led by Solomon, dedicating the newly-constructed Temple. As part of the dedication ceremony, God issues a powerful promise, and an equally powerful warning.

First, for the promise, summarized in 2 Chronicles 7:14 (KJV),
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
If we've sinned or drifted away from God in any way, then this verse is directed right at us. What a great verse of hope and grace!

But then, in verses 19-20 (KJV), comes the warning,
But if ye turn away, and forsake my statutes and my commandments, which I have set before you, and shall go and serve other gods, and worship them; Then will I pluck them up by the roots out of my land which I have given them; and this house, which I have sanctified for my name, will I cast out of my sight...
Taken together, these verses indicate that sinful behavior causes God to turn from us, but just as quickly, repentance brings about mercy and forgiveness. This, of course, is a dominant theme throughout the Bible, and one which should animate all of our prayers. Today, let us praise God for his infinite mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment