Monday, October 30, 2017

Christian Standard Bible (CSB) review

I occasionally post about Bible translations. In this post, I'll say a bit about a new translation, the Christian Standard Bible, published in March, 2017.

The CSB is a major revision of the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB), a relatively popular translation that I, admittedly, don't know much about. Not knowing what to expect, I picked up an inexpensive promotional copy of the CSB when it was first released a few months ago. After a few months of browsing through it, I really REALLY like the CSB!

First, the CSB is not a revision (of a revision of a revision...) of the King James Version, so it doesn't flow in the "Tyndale tradition" like, say, the ESV. But that's OK. Although I use the KJV as my "benchmark" bible, it's nice to have a translation with a different flow.

Not being an expert on ancient Hebrew and Greek, my impression is that the CSB is about as "literal" as the ESV, but, again, with a less KJV "feel." The CSB really excels in its economy of words, in that most passages seem to be rendered succinctly and efficiently. I like that; it feels like good writing.

The publisher seems to be aggressively marketing the CSB. For example, its twitter feed is active and useful, and the entire translation is already available on major online Bible platforms.

So if you're looking for a fresh, modern, and understandable translation, check it out. I leave you with a small sample, and a useful prayer (Psalm 25:4-5, CSB),
Make your ways known to me, Lord;
teach me your paths. 
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are the God of my salvation;
I wait for you all day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment