Monday, May 14, 2018

Philosophizing with God

During prayer, it's tempting to try to explain things to God. For example, we might try to explain why we sinned, or we might attempt to explain why we need his help.

But God already knows our deepest workings (Jeremiah 17:10, KJV),
I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins.
Why, then, do we try to philosophize with God? After all, God has already emphasized that his depth of thought is infinitely beyond our grasp (Isaiah 55:9, KJV),
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. 
Rather than philosophizing when we pray, let us follow the example of David. First, when confronted with his sin with Bathsheba, David simply says (2 Samuel 12:13, KJV),
I have sinned against the Lord.
And, later, in 2 Samuel 24 when David recognizes his sin related to the national census, he simply says (2 Samuel 24:10, KJV),
I have sinned greatly in that I have done: and now, I beseech thee, O Lord, take away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly.
Note the complete lack of explaining or philosophizing. Just simple, but honest, prayer. Let us follow those examples.  

No comments:

Post a Comment