Friday, May 3, 2019

God's forgiveness

Hosea 5:15 (KJV) highlights the process involved in God's forgiveness.
I will go and return to my place, till they acknowledge their offence, and seek my face: in their affliction they will seek me early.
This short verse packs a load of information. First, when we sin, God leaves us to our own devices by "going and returning" to his place. His pulling away eventually brings us "affliction." (Those points are made many places in the bible.) Second, he patiently awaits our repentance. 2 Peter 3:15 makes this same point. Finally, there is an indication that our turning toward God is inevitable, when he says, "they will seek me."

So in sum, we are going to sin, which pushes God away and invites negative consequences. He waits for us to turn back toward him. And this entire process is inevitable, a realization that should humble us before him.

No comments:

Post a Comment