Saturday, July 26, 2014

Pray Like Job

The book of Job enjoys exalted status as one of the great pieces of literature ever written. But it also tends to frustrate readers, because it doesn't appear to answer the very questions it poses.

But I think the book of Job leads to one of the most powerful conclusions in the entire Bible, and that conclusion has important implications for how we should pray.

Most people are familiar with the book's setup. Goaded by Satan, God afflicts Job, a wealthy and righteous man, with various financial, family, and health calamities. The purpose is to test whether, faced with such adversity, Job will blaspheme God.

That's just the setup. The majority of the book follows the philosophical thoughts of Job's friends, who insist that his suffering offers proof that he must have committed some sin. Job never blasphemes God, but he does strongly question God's motivation for allowing such suffering.

And then enters God. As readers, we're excited finally to learn the answer to the book's central question: Why is Job suffering? Instead, God issues Job a several-chapters-long tongue lashing, which begins with, Job 39: 2-4 (NIV)
Who is this that obscures my plans with words without knowledge? ... Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation? Tell me, if you understand.
I see the book's major moment to be not God's tongue lashing, but rather Job's response, Job 42: 2-6 (NIV):
I know that you can do all things; no purpose of yours can be thwarted... Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know... My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes.
Now that's a prayer! Basically, Job humbles himself before God and repents of his questioning God's will. God must have been pleased with this response, because He then removes Job's suffering and doubles his original state.

I believe the book's main point is that we cannot comprehend the magnitude of existence and the power of God's will. Instead, when we pray, we should humble ourselves before Him and submit to His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment