Tuesday, August 26, 2014

God's Forgiving Nature

Chapter 26 of Leviticus, despite some terrifying language, delivers a comforting lesson about God's love and forgiveness. I encourage you to read the entire chapter, but a few highlights from the ESV translation:
If you will not listen to me and will not do all these commandments ... I will visit you with panic, with wasting disease and fever that consume the eyes and make the heart ache ...
And if in spite of this you will not listen to me, then I will discipline you again sevenfold for your sins ...
Then if you walk contrary to me and will not listen to me, I will continue striking you, sevenfold for your sins ...
And if by this discipline you are not turned to me but walk contrary to me, then I also will walk contrary to you, and I myself will strike you sevenfold for your sins ...
But if in spite of this you will not listen to me, but walk contrary to me, then I will walk contrary to you in fury, and I myself will discipline you sevenfold for your sins ...
But if they confess their iniquity ... then I will remember my covenant with Jacob, and I will remember my covenant with Isaac and my covenant with Abraham ...
Two messages here. First, God's discipline, unpleasant as it might be, serves a purpose. And that purpose is to bring us to him. Second, God tries again and again and again and again to bring us to him. It's never too late to confess and turn to God. But don't wait! Enjoy that grace now! Start with a simple prayer of humility and confession.

No comments:

Post a Comment