Friday, August 22, 2014

The Gift of the Psalms

As prayers, it's hard to beat the power and beauty of the 150 prayers contained in the Book of Psalms. If you fear that your prayers have grown a bit repetitive or stale, try reciting one of the psalms. I believe they are a gift to us to assist in our prayers.

I enjoy "audio" Bibles, and I especially enjoy the Book of Psalms in audio format. My favorite audio bible is the dramatized ESV version available for free at Faith Comes by Hearing. Do yourself a favor, and download the 150 psalms, and put them on your phone or MP3 player, or burn them to a few CDs. Then sit quietly and listen to one or two psalms at a time, meditating on the message. You'll enjoy your prayer experience!

Psalm 23, labeled as a "Psalm of David," is arguably the most famous, (ESV),
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures. 
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment