Friday, September 19, 2014

There is none good but God

Matthew Chapter 19 contains a strange conversation, and different Biblical translations present the conversation in different ways. According to the KJV, someone addressed Jesus as "Good Master," to which Jesus responds,
Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God.
As John Gill explains, Jesus was not denying his "goodness." Rather, the person, at this point in time before the death and resurrection of Jesus, clearly viewed Jesus not as divine, but rather as a skilled teacher and theologian. Jesus simply tells the man that no earthly being is truly "good."

An important point to emphasize in our prayers is that we are sinful creatures. Even Job, a seemingly "good" man, eventually was brought to his knees (Job, 42: 2-6, ESV),
I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted ... I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know ... I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.
None of us comes close to Job's goodness, and look at how he humbled himself! We should seek to mimic such humility in our prayers. Try it. As difficult as such prayers are, you'll feel a remarkable sense of joy from humbling yourself before God!

No comments:

Post a Comment