Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Living on Borrowed Time

I've posted previously about the Book of Job. I've posted previously about how the Bible teaches us that everything belongs to God. And I've posted previously about how David reacted to God's discipline.

Here, I'd like to touch on all of those themes by turning to the first chapter of Job. In that first chapter, God tests Job's character by destroying his wealth and children. Job responds with the following (Job 1:21, NLT):
I came naked from my mother’s womb,
    and I will be naked when I leave.
The Lord gave me what I had,
    and the Lord has taken it away.
Praise the name of the Lord!
Job recognizes that we enter and leave this world in the exact same states: with nothing. Everything we having during our lives, both good and bad, comes from God. Our wealth, accomplishments, experiences, and even our afflictions are (temporarily) provided by God. And we're living on borrowed time.

So what to do? The last line of the aforementioned passage sums up our lives' mission:
Praise the name of the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment