Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Advice from Psalm 50

Psalm 50 contains beautiful advice for how to live a godly life. First, from verses 14-15 (NLT),
Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God,
and keep the vows you made to the Most High.
Then call on me when you are in trouble,
and I will rescue you,
and you will give me glory.
We need not provide physical sacrifices. Nor are we required to fast, despite possible benefits of fasting. Rather, our sacrifices should be thanks and praise to God. And, furthermore, these verses stress that we should trust in God (and only God). Verse 23 (NLT) then reiterates this theme,
Giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me.
If you keep to my path,
I will reveal to you the salvation of God.
It's very simple advice, but it's advice we struggle to follow. Let these verses guide our prayers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment