Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Enemies at night

What is it about the night that creates such fertile ground for sin? Drunkenness, debauchery, lust, anxiety, anger ... Whatever evil thoughts course through our heads seem to become amplified in the still quiet of the night.

David recognizes this, when he says in Psalm 59 (verses 14-15, NLT),
My enemies come out at night,
snarling like vicious dogs
as they prowl the streets.
They scavenge for food
but go to sleep unsatisfied.
David counters those enemies by praying (Psalm 59:1, NLT),
Rescue me from my enemies, O God.
Protect me from those who have come to destroy me.
And then, after successfully making it through the night, he gives this prayer of thanks (Psalm 59:16, NLT),
But as for me, I will sing about your power.
Each morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love.
For you have been my refuge,
a place of safety when I am in distress.
The main point is that we should pray for God's protection, especially during those times when we are most vulnerable to sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment